Sunday, April 24, 2016

A job interview or acutally celebrating carnival in Zürich

I believe all Swiss know exactly that Zürich and Carnival is nothing that really belongs together even though Zürich is trying to start a carnival tradition... (not even mentioning that they are going for the Dates of Basel)

But I have to say that some job interviews remind me of just that: Trying to make a carnival!

Which is actually rather puzzling if you come to think of it and I have to say, everyone enjoying their jobs and not being in the application circus these days, should consider them very very lucky. Then it seems there is a big change happening rigth now, where companies do not have to fight for good employees anymore but have so many good applicants to choose from, they believe they can just behave as taking part in the carnival, completely and utterly crazy.
I am really wondering where this is heading?

I recently attended an interview at a small company. After being made to wait for nearly half an hour, while I could watch and hear everything that was going on... and let me tell you, there was noone dying and no business deal failing completely.  Finally I actually got an audience with the "king of the bees", which lasted about 15 minutes tops! including the introduction of the Company, which consisted of showing me around the company pointing at People and telling me: "that is accounting, that our sales,... " Aha.. really amazing. Not to forget the WALL OF FAME with all the prizes the company had won!
Yeah, not completely sure if I was supposed to learn a lot about the company by that...? I guess the only thing that stuck was “someone” is very proud of its own company and that they actually have someone doing accounting!! Surprise surprise!

Well, it left me rather thinking of Zürich and the carnival again, I actually had the pleasure to experience the start of the season on 11.11. and was rather surprised. Just as during my interview. Proudly showing their shiny costumes and the head of the Gugge-Musicians Swinging the teams flag.

So after all this really special first half, I was then asked to fulfill a creative writing test in order to find out my writing skills. Which in my opinion was rather not such a bad idea as the way of writing content can be quite different. So I tried to fullfill my assignment on a very very old computer which froze about 10 times, but I managed to even come up with a rather fun idea, which was also aknowledged by the beekeeper.

Afterwards then I was asked to wait and have a coffee break once more, as the beekeeper was busy with some more calls (who would have thought 😉) I am still thankful about the audience I got. Still feeling very sorry to push myself in on such a busy day or person..

Then I should be receiving yet another assignment - so yeah after spending already about 2 hours interviewing for an assistant job - although not sure whom I would be assisting - apart from the beekeeper itself. So I waited with a coffee and then got my next assignment: Could you please write an email with an offer to a client.

Hm somehow .. in this moment I could see them dancing in the streets again. On 11.11. at the small square in the middle of Niederdorf, the old town of Zürich, at exactly 11.11 am all the Gugge-bands started to play different songs at the same time...a massive sound echoing from the houses… the crowd cheering. I can see the costumes again, masks, people playing instruments, people singing along.... dancing, dancing around, singing, and jumping up and down... funny masks and colorful sequined costumes, shiny glittery... what the?

Hm I am really considering if I should just tell this clown that I have actually been working for over 10 years now, not to mentioned my study time when I was  working for a service company: writing, ha guess what: offers to customers.

So I am confused and... really really  believe or rather am sure that i would have no problem to adopt the company language in a second....

Anyway, I start with my task...  but by the time I have ended the email...the computer dies...

What is the universe telling me with this? Just at the same time the circus dompteur is coming back to tell me, what a surprise: the last audience will have to wait as there is one more call to make. Is this from the song they were playing?

I´ll spare you the rest, just that much: during the 15 minutes feedback talk the phone rang twice and got answered!

I know a lot about not having time at my work, I have worked under pressure and in start-ups but there is also something called respect - which of course if we were living in carnival season might be lost, but is that something you want in your job?

No comments:

Post a Comment