Sunday, January 11, 2015

Bolivien - Uyuni Salt Lake and Lagunas

In the south of Bolivia I amfinally reaching the reason why I decided to travel to Bolivia.
Having seen the fotos of the salt lake Uyuni and the lagunas, I decided to add Bolivia to my travel plan. And this was the best decision I have ever made. Instead of 2 weeks, I ended up staying 4 weeks in Bolivia :-) meeting a lot of interesting people and a culture so very different.

Reaching Uyuni, the desert town, from Potosi, you travel through amazing countryside. Every turn offers new views and would I be in a car, I guess I would have taken forever, stopping and taking pictures and just enjoying the views.

There are snowy peaks, wide plains with rivers and green fields with hughe herds of alpacas or llamas (I still cant differ them), then we drove through a red desert area,  which reminds me of Australia or Grand Canyon area. The closer we come to Uyuni the less it seems to be populated here. There are less and less villages. Finally we can see the "city" from the top of the mountains laying ahead in the flat really flat dessert. There are only some isolated hills to be seen.

Uyuni really is a vast city, on a sunday there is not much happening... a small market all roads are dusty and the place really feels lonely and unattractive. After checking into a hostel I wonder around checking out all the possible tours starting the next day. I meet up with the french couple again, they want to to the 4 day trip with a climb of one of the little hills in the desert... apparently it takes quite a while as it is still high here. But as there are only 4 more french on this tour, I am deciding against it, as my french is really bad. Apparently there are a lot of french travelling here, as I find more groups like that.

Finally I find a group which so far only has 2 english people on the list and I join them in the hope there will be not only french :-)

It acutally seems there is no difference in the standard tours. There are some more expensive ones who stay directly at the hot springs for example. But they were already fully booked.

The next morning I head off to the market to buy the stuff needed for the next three days and then we start off at around 10 am. Now with a full 4x4, as of course they added people booked at different tours to one. But its a fun group with 2 couples (UK/OZ) and another single girl from UK and me. So we head into the desert: The adventure starts !!!



No comments:

Post a Comment